With Outfunnel it’s easy to trigger drip campaigns when a new Pipedrive Contact or Deal is added, a Deal is moved to a specific stage, when a Deal is won or lost or when a custom field is edited.
Use Pipedrive’s filters for People to target the right segment
Outfunnel works off of Pipedrive filters for People. Anything you do in Pipedrive for contacts to start matching a filter or stop matching a filter (change the contents of a field, mark a deal “won” or change pipeline stage) can be used to trigger a MailChimp Automation campaign.
Here it’s worth pointing out that although Outfunnel only supports filters for People, and not Organizations or Deals, you can use People filters for pretty much anything. For example, say you’d like to send a triggered campaign to people who have open deals in the pipeline stage Negotiations. Furthermore, you only want to target people that have not bought from you before (ie. closed Deals count = 0) and who are in the Real Estate business. You can create a filter for these people in just 40 seconds!
Setting up a drip campaign for Pipedrive contacts in 4 simple steps
- Step 1. Define the segment that should receive sending a drip campaign with a Pipedrive filter. Learn how filters work in Pipedrive.
- Step 2. Create a new List in MailChimp
- Step 3. Then set up an Outfunnel automation to sync the filter you set up in Step 1 to the newly created MailChimp List. Learn how to use the Pipedrive-MailChimp integration
- Step 4. And you can start a MailChimp automated campaign to be started once people get added to the list. We recommend to use the “Send when people join or get imported to your list” trigger in MailChimp for that.
Things to keep in mind
Please note that when a contact stops matching the filter, Outfunnel will unsubscribe them from the campaign. For example, when you want an email sequence to go out to people in the “Warm lead” pipeline stage, and you move them to the next stage (eg. “Demo scheduled”), this can stop the sequence of emails.
Please also note that currently Outfunnel sync is not real-time but run about every 4 hours, so there may be 1 min – 3 h 59 min delay in triggering the campaign.
Finally, alas MailChimp API doesn’t provide information about automated email activity, so Outfunnel is not able to record email sends, opens and clicks in Pipedrive. But luckily there’s a workaround: if you use our web tracking feature we’ll at least be able to record email clicks and subsequent web visits.
PS. Pipedrive’s new Automations feature can also be used for triggered emails, but in our view these are better suited as one-off follow-ups with people you’ve already established a relationship with, rather than marketing campaigns. Worth checking out in any case.
Our website visitor tracking feature, or simply Web tracking as we call it, shows you which of your leads are visiting your website, and which pages of your website. This way you’ll know who appears more interested in your products and services, more ready to buy.
Outfunnel matches website visitors to your Pipedrive contacts, using MailChimp’s e-commerce link tracking, so currently the feature is available for companies that use MailChimp to send newsletters and who have connected their MailChimp account to Outfunnel. We’ll soon be adding more ways to match website visitors to your contacts.
Step 1. Add Outfunnel tracking code on your site.
You’ll find your tracking code in the Web tracking section of your Outfunnel account. Read how to install tracking code to your site.
Step 2. Send email campaigns with MailChimp, and enable e-commerce link tracking
Outfunnel uses MailChimp’s e-commerce link tracking to match email addresses (an so, your leads) to website visitors. All you have to do to start tracking website visitors is to tick “E-commerce link tracking” every time you send out a campaign.
First find Settings & Tracking as you’re composing a new campaign, and click Edit.
Then tick the e-commerce link tracking checkbox. That’s it!
Please note that e-commerce link tracking can be activated for both one-off campaigns and automated campaigns. For the latter, navigate to Campaigns > Ongoing and click on the name of the automated campaign. Then click on Edit Workflow Settings and tick the e-commerce link tracking checkbox.
PS. The more people click on your emails, the more people Outfunnel can identify, so we recommend sending a campaign or two with a very attractive call-to-action or offer to increase the number of people we can identify.
Step 3. Connect your MailChimp account to Outfunnel
Because we’re using MailChimp’s e-commerce link tracking feature, you must have your MailChimp account linked with Outfunnel. You can do that if you navigate to Connections section in Outfunnel and follow instructions there.
Please note that currently we can only identify people that have been synced to MailChimp from Pipedrive, using Outfunnel. If you have people in your MailChimp account whose contacts don’t exist in Pipedrive, we recommend exporting them to Pipedrive and then syncing them back to MailChimp, using Outfunnel.
We’ll soon be improving the feature, so that you’ll also be able to see website visitors of all your MailChimp contacts, whether their contact details exist in Pipedrive or not.
Step 4. See website visits in Outfunnel
You’re then ready to start seeing website visits who have clicked on at least MailChimp campaign. We’ll show you the time of the visit, pages visited and the source of the visit. The source will be MailChimp for almost all contacts but this will start to change as people return to your site via different sources.
Step 5. Define how you’d like website visits reflected in Pipedrive
Go to Outfunnel > Automations, scroll to Outfunnel to Pipedrive automations and click Configure. There you can set up an automation to send web visits to Pipedrive, and you can choose whether to record website visits as a Note or as a custom Pipedrive activity called Web visit.
In order to increase usefulness to salespeople we post web visits to Pipedrive with a 30-minute delay, so we can list all pages visited within the first half an hour, and the duration of looking at each page.
NB! Stay GDPR compliant
The Outfunnel tracking code helps you monitor:
- Which of your leads are visiting your website, and which pages of your website
- How well your website is generating traffic and leads, and what you can do to improve conversion at various stages (coming soon)
If you do have access to the HTML of your website (or to your content management system), you can complete the steps below yourself.
If you do not have access to your website’s HTML, email this article to your web developer or IT department.
Step 1. Find and copy your Outfunnel tracking code
Navigate to Web tracking page in Outfunnel and find the tracking code displayed in the dark blue box. You may need to click “Show tracking code” if it’s not immediately visible.
Please note: the tracking code is different for every Outfunnel account.
Step 2. Paste the code onto each page of your website
You can add tracking code to your website in one of three ways:
- Paste it into the header section of your website between
tags – this way it gets added to each page which features the header.
- Paste it above the closing body tag (between and tags) for each individual page on your website
- Paste it into the footer section of your website between
tags – this way it gets added to each page which features the footer.
Because every website or content management system is structured differently, we can’t provide you with exact instructions on how to add tracking code. If you’re not sure how to access the HTML code of your site, email this document to your webmaster, IT department, or technical resource.
If you’re a WordPress user, there’s a simple way to add the Outfunnel tracking code.
First install the Insert Headers and Footers plugin, it’s free to use.
Then, activate the plugin, so it becomes visible in the Settings area. Next, click on “Insert Headers and Footers” link in the Settings area, paste the Outfunnel tracking code into the “Scripts in Footer” box and click “Save”.
Outfunnel will display: tracking live once you’ve successfully added the tracking code.
A seamless 2-way connection between Pipedrive and Mailchimp:
- Make all Pipedrive contacts or subset(s) you define with filters available in a Mailchimp list along with your fields and custom fields.
- Keep the two databases in-sync going forward. Eg. if someone moves from Pipeline stage X to Y or is marked as Won/Lost, this is recorded in Mailchimp in (near) real time.
- When people open or click on email campaigns, this data will be recorded in Pipedrive as custom events, Notes and/or new Deals created.
Here’s how to use our Pipedrive-MailChimp integration:
First, sign up for an Outfunnel account, adding your email, name and password. Then, connect your Mailchimp and Pipedrive accounts as per on-screen instructions.
Automate syncing data from Pipedrive to MailChimp
Go Outfunnel > Automations and click on New automation.
First choose whether to sync all Pipedrive contacts or only contacts you’ve defined with a filter. Your Pipedrive filters will be visible if you click on the arrow down. As you’re syncing contacts, not Deals, then only Pipedrive People filters are visible in Outfunnel.
Next, choose which MailChimp list you’d like the contacts to be synced to.
You can sync different Pipedrive filters to different MailChimp lists (eg. separate email lists for different regions or pipeline stages) or you can sync multiple Pipedrive filters to the same MailChimp list (eg. a filter with open Deals for each sales rep, all synced to one big newsletter list)
Finally, select which fields or custom fields you’d like to sync to MailChimp. You can choose up to 30 fields from all your Person and Organization fields and custom fields.
Please also note it takes 3-10 minutes for your chosen Pipedrive contacts to appear in MailChimp.
Please also note that Outfunnel creates these fields in MailChimp automatically, you don’t need to pre-create them.
Then, automate syncing data from MailChimp to Pipedrive.
In the Outfunnel > Automations page, scroll down to MailChimp to Pipedrive automations and click on New automation
First choose whether you’d like to sync activity from all MailChimp lists or a specific MailChimp list only.
Then select what events you’d like recorded in Pipedrive. The default settings are:
- A Note created for each email sent
- A custom activity “Email Opened” is created for each email opened
- A custom activity “Newsletter clicked” and a new Deal is created for each email clicked. A new deal is created for Default owner ie. owner of that Person in Pipedrive.
- Unsubscribes are recorded as Notes
You can change these defaults and choose which Pipeline is used for creating new Deals and who the Deal Owner is.
Please note email activity is registered on a Contact level as well as Deal level. If someone is sent an email, or they open or click an email, this is registered independently of the deal stage or pipeline in their Contact profile. This is also registered in a Deal in the pipeline you can define in this setup screen.
New Deals will be created in the exact stage you define in this screen, email activity will be recorded in the Deal view even if the Deal is currently in another stage in the same pipeline. Email activity can’t be reflected in multiple Deals at the same time.
That’s it. You’re ready to start sending email campaigns from MailChimp and seeing activity reflected in Pipedrive.
Couple of things to keep in mind:
- Outfunnel tracks only these contacts that we have initially synced. Currently, Outfunnel only records email data and web visits for these MailChimp contacts that have been synced to MailChimp from Pipedrive with Outfunnel. We recommend to first collate your whole contact list (Pipedrive + MailChimp) into Pipedrive and sync the all contacts, or a selection you define with Pipedrive filters, into MailChimp with Outfunnel.
- Best results with a new List. We recommend to set up a brand new MailChimp list to ensure everything works flawlessly, but syncing data to an already existing list works too.
- Sync frequency. We sync data every 4 hours (approximately). You can force a sync when you click on the headline of an Automation and then click the “Sync events now” button.
- Single source of truth is Pipedrive. Outfunnel currently treats Pipedrive as the “single source of truth”, and any changes you make in Pipedrive will be reflected in MailChimp. This doesn’t work the other way around. If you’d like to edit contents of a field in MailChimp, please make the changes in Pipedrive and let Outfunnel take care of syncing this to MailChimp.
- Make edits on the Pipedrive end only. Furthermore, making changes to fields or contents of fields that are synced via Outfunnel on the MailChimp end may result in partially disabling Outfunnel automations.
- Supported field types. Outfunnel currently support syncing the following field types: text, numbers, multiple choice answers, phone numbers, dates, addresses, monetary values.
- Notifications. If you’d like to receive email notifications about people opening and/or clicking your newsletters, you’ll need to turn on Email notifications feature in Pipedrive. (See how). Once enabled, each user can turn on Email notifications by going to Settings > Personal > Preferences > Notifications.
Finally, here’s a video that Pipedrive consultant Paul Minors has produced about Outfunnel.
Want to learn how to get more of Outfunnel? Check out this post which describes the eight powerful automations you get with Outfunnel.
You can easily upgrade and downgrade between plans. When downgrading, excess funds will remain as credit. Switching between plans can be done at any time in the billing cycle.
Yes, our service is GDPR compliant. Our servers are hosted in EU and we’ve put a lot of thought and effort into keeping it safe. We don’t unnecessarily gather or process data, and we don’t gather or use data without explicit consent. We expect our customers to also be GDPR compliant.
Yes, we have an extremely high bar for keeping data secure and a suitable amount of relevant experience. Our tools and security measures are based on the more demanding end of industry best practices.
We’ll let you know and ask you to consider upgrading. Your Outfunnel account will not be paused unless you’re over the limit by more than 20% and/or we haven’t heard back from you.
The limit of for contacts and events to sync is cumulative ie. it’s a sum of your contacts and email events recorded in Pipedrive. For example if you have 5000 people in your leads list and you email them 4 times a month, each time generating 1000 email opens and clicks, that’s altogether 9000 records and you’re nicely within the 10,000 contacts and events limit.