Our email marketing tool lets you send simple email campaigns that are tightly integrated with Pipedrive. You can send emails to any segment defined by Pipedrive filters, and email opens, clicks and other activities are instantly recorded in Pipedrive.
You’d need an Outfunnel account and a Pipedrive account to use the email marketing feature.
Before you send out your first campaign
1. Define the recipients of your campaign with filters in Pipedrive.
Open Pipedrive, navigate to Contacts > People view and use the available filters to define the segment(s) you’d like to send a campaign to. Save the filter as “Shared”. (Read more about using filters in Pipedrive)
2. Authenticate your domain (Optional)
We recommend that you verify your domain so that email providers and clients can be confident it was sent by us with your permission. This improves deliverability rates and helps to get your email past spam filters. Read our detailed instructions on authenticating your domain.
How to send out a single email campaign
1. Go to Outfunnel > Campaigns and click on the green “Create new campaign” button
2. In the Basics section you can give your campaign a name (so that you’ll recognize it later), enter the name displayed as email sender and choose the recipients of the campaign. The “Recipients” dropdown lists all your public Pipedrive filters for People you’ve defined previously. If you add a brand new Pipedrive filter for People, it may take a few minutes for it to appear in the dropdown.
Please note that you can only use emails from the same domain that you registered your Outfunnel account with as the “from email”. If you’d like to use another domain, please contact our support.
3. In the Compose section you can enter a subject line and use the visual editor to, that’s right, compose the email.
You can format text, add links and images and personalize the email with “merge tags”. When you click on “Personalize”, you’ll see a list of all your Pipedrive Person and Organization fields you can use to personalize emails with.
Outfunnel adds an unsubscribe link to the footer of each email. In most jurisdictions it’s against the law to remove this link, so it’s not possible to send a campaign without it. That said, you’re welcome to change the wording to suit your needs.
4. Finally, if you click on “Review and settings” you can do a final review of the email. If you’d like to change anything in the email, you can go back to previous steps by clicking on the “Basics” and “Compose” links at the bottom of the page.
You can also send yourself (or a colleague) a test email if you press the obviously named “Send test email” link in the top right corner.
If all looks good, click on “Send campaign” and confirm this action in the dialog window that appears. That’s it!
How to get insights on email campaign performance
Basic information about number of emails sent, open rate and click rate is visible in the Campaigns page for all sent campaigns. By clicking on the name of a campaign or the “More options” icon (the one with three dots) you’ll get access to more detailed stats, including bounces and unsubscribes.
Information about email engagement will also be automatically recorded in Pipedrive (see below).
A couple of things to keep in mind
- The email marketing feature is a “beta” in software lingo. It’s fully functional but it’s in an active development cycle, so there may be kinks and occasional interruptions to the service.
- The email feature is available for single-email campaigns, and we’ll add email sequences shortly. Get in touch if you’d like early access.
- Outfunnel automatically records email engagement in the Contact view in Pipedrive. The default settings are:
- Emails opened and clicked are recorded as a custom activity (that you can later filter in Pipedrive)
- Emails sent and bounced as well unsubscribes are recorded as a Note
- We strongly recommend to “warm up” your email address with Outfunnel for maximum deliverability. If you’re sending campaigns to several thousand or tens of thousands of contacts at a time, we’d suggest starting with a few smaller campaigns first.
- For example, with a list of 10,000 contacts, send a campaign to 250 people on week 1, 500 people on week 2, 750 people on week 3, 1300 people on week 4, etc.
- Read more about IP warming
- If you use Outfunnel to send emails, you can also automatically get the benefits of our web tracking feature. This way you’ll see what leads do on your website, and have this recorded in Pipedrive as well.
- Are you important critical email functionality? We hear you. We’re making the email feature better every day (and that’s literally, and sometimes including weekends.) If you’re missing something, there’s a good chance we’re working on this already. If you have specific questions, please give us a shout.
My Outfunnel account is not syncing any data (or a specific contact) from Pipedrive to Mailchimp
Data sync is scheduled but not yet completed. Outfunnel is not (yet) real-time but runs automations every 4 hours or so. That said, you can force a sync any time when you click on the name of the Automation in Outfunnel and then click “Sync now”.
- Email field is incorrect. Mailchimp API rejects any contacts with a missing or erroneous email address.
- Duplicate email. If you have several emails in Pipedrive with the same email address, we only sync the contact that Outfunnel finds first. Our suggestion is to merge the duplicate contacts in Pipedrive to fix the issue.
- No admin rights. If Outfunnel has been connected to a non-admin Pipedrive user, we won’t be able to sync private contacts. To solve this, please reconnect Outfunnel with an admin Pipedrive user.
Field requirements on Mailchimp side. If Mailchimp has been configured to require certain fields filled, and the corresponding fields are empty in Pipedrive, MailChimp API rejects these contacts.
Damaged data connections. Finally, sometimes making changes to fields or contents of fields that are synced via Outfunnel on the MailChimp end may result in partially disabling Outfunnel automations.
- Contact has been deleted. After you delete and remove a contact from a Mailchimp Audience, you won’t be able to add them back to the same Audience. The solution is to subscribe this contact to a new Audience.
My Outfunnel account is not syncing any data from Mailchimp to Pipedrive
No Pipedrive to Mailchimp connection. Currently, Outfunnel only records email data and web visits for these Mailchimp contacts that have been synced to Mailchimp from Pipedrive with Outfunnel. This means you need to first create an automation from Pipedrive to Mailchimp. See here for a guide on how to do that.Pro tip: We recommend that you first collate your whole contact list (Pipedrive + Mailchimp) into Pipedrive and sync the all contacts, or a selection you define with Pipedrive filters, into Mailchimp with Outfunnel.
Different target Audiences. The targeted newsletter Audience in the Pipedrive to Mailchimp automation needs to match with the target Audience in the Mailchimp to Pipedrive automation. You can adjust that by logging into your account.
I have installed the website tracking code but I am not seeing any web visits
e-Commerce link tracking not enabled. Outfunnel uses MailChimp’s e-commerce link tracking to match email addresses to website visitors. This means that you need to tick “e-commerce link tracking” on the Mailchimp campaign every time you send out a newsletter
No newsletters sent. We can track the leads once you’ve sent out a newsletter
No Pipedrive to Mailchimp and Mailchimp to Pipedrive automation. We can only store website visits on your Pipedrive contacts once you’ve created a two-way sync between Pipedrive and Mailchimp. See here for a guide on how to do that.
This article helps you get more out of our marketing emails feature.
We recommend that you verify your domain so that email providers and clients can be confident it was sent by us with your permission. This improves deliverability rates and helps to get your email past spam filters. You can use Outfunnel’s email feature without domain authentication, too, but you’ll probably get better results with authentification done.
For background: domain authentication is not an Outfunnel feature, but part of public email infrastructure. Email Providers like Gmail, Yahoo, and Microsoft/Outlook, use DKIM and SPF authentication as a way to scan incoming emails for spam or spoofed addresses.
To set up authentication, you need to change some account settings with your DNS provider. If you don’t have access to your DNS records, please send these instruction to someone on your technical / IT team.
How to authenticate your domain in 3 (relatively) easy steps:
- Verify the email address you signed up for Outfunnel with. Simply click on the link in the very first email you received from Outfunnel. (Subject line was “Welcome to Outfunnel”).
- To set up DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) records, go to your domain’s cPane or Zone Editor and create a CNAME record for
o1._domainkey.yoursite.comwith this value dkim.outfunnel.com.
- Please note that any previously existing DKIM records would not need to be edited or removed.
- To add Outfunnel to your SPF records, go to your domain’s cPane or Zone Editor and navigate to TEXT records. Every domain has only one SPF TEXT record, so update the existing one or create a new one if there isn’t one in place. (To see if you already have a SPF TEXT record, open your TEXT records and look for one that would start with v=spf1)
- Add include:servers.outfunnel.com to your existing SPF TXT record for yoursite.com
- … or create the following TXT record for yoursite.com: v=spf1 include:servers.outfunnel.com ?all
- (The whole SPF text record may include several domains and it always starts with v=spf1 and ends with all)
PS. yoursite.com refers to the domain you wish to use for sending emails (eg. outfunnel.com, outfunnel.eu, etc).
If you bump into challenges or if you’d like to validate whether domain authentication has been set up properly, please get in touch.
The most common frustration that people have when using both Pipedrive and Mailchimp? It’s not automatic and only syncs one-way.
While Pipedrive’s native Mailchimp integration does make it easy for you to add Pipedrive contacts to Mailchimp, it involves manual work and the data about opens and clicks does not loop back to Pipedrive. It’s ‘stuck’ in Mailchimp.
One of the things Outfunnel allows you to do is to “complete the loop” and make sure that your Pipedrive account is automatically updated when Mailchimp is (and vice versa).
Get your Pipedrive and Mailchimp synced seamlessly with Outfunnel:
- Make all Pipedrive contacts or subset(s) you define with filters available in a Mailchimp Audience along with your fields and custom fields.
- Keep the two databases in-sync going forward. Eg. if someone moves from Pipeline stage X to Y or a custom field is updated, this is recorded in Mailchimp automatically.
- When people open or click on email campaigns, this data will be recorded in Pipedrive Contacts and/or Deals.
- New Mailchimp subscribers can be copied to Pipedrive as Contacts. Alternatively, new contacts can be copied to Pipedrive only when they open or click on an email campaign.
How to automate syncing data from Pipedrive to Mailchimp:
1. Once you’ve signed up to an Outfunnel account and connected Pipedrive and Mailchimp as per on-screen instructions, go to Outfunnel > Automations and click on New automation.
2. Choose whether to sync all Pipedrive contacts or only contacts you’ve defined with a filter. Your Pipedrive filters will be visible if you click on the arrow down. As you are syncing contacts, not Deals, then only Pipedrive People filters are visible in Outfunnel.
3. Next, choose which Mailchimp Audience you’d like the contacts to be synced to. You can sync different Pipedrive filters to different Mailchimp Audiences (eg. separate email lists for different regions or pipeline stages) or you can sync multiple Pipedrive filters to the same Mailchimp Audience (eg. a filter with open Deals for each sales rep, all synced to one big newsletter Audience)
4. Finally, select which fields or custom fields you’d like to sync to Mailchimp. You can choose up to 30 fields from all your Person and Organization fields and custom fields.
- It takes 2-5 minutes for your chosen Pipedrive contacts to appear in Mailchimp.
- Outfunnel creates these fields in Mailchimp automatically so you don’t need to pre-create them.
How to automate syncing data from Mailchimp to Pipedrive
1. In the Outfunnel > Automations page, scroll down to Mailchimp to Pipedrive automations and click on New automation.
2. Choose whether you’d like to sync activity from all Mailchimp Audiences or a specific Mailchimp Audience only.
3. Finally, define how you’d like email activities like opens, clicks, bounces or unsubscribes recorded in Pipedrive – or simply use our default settings (which we’ve described below).
You can change these settings at any time by clicking on the name of the automation, the three dots just right of the “Sync now” button and making the changes.
That’s it! You’re ready to start sending email campaigns from Mailchimp and seeing activity reflected in Pipedrive.
Tips, observations, and useful definitions:
- Outfunnel supports two ways to manage your contacts:
- Option A. Master database of all contacts in Pipedrive, contacts synced to Mailchimp for emailing via Outfunnel. To enable this, first collate your whole contact list (Pipedrive + Mailchimp) into Pipedrive and sync the all contacts, or a selection you define with Pipedrive filters, into Mailchimp with Outfunnel.
- Option B. Contact list in Mailchimp is separate from prospect/customer list in Pipedrive. If a contact, defined by their email address, exists in both Pipedrive and Mailchimp, we log email engagement to Pipedrive to the right contact. If a contact who previously only existed in Mailchimp opens or clicks an email, Outfunnel can create a new Pipedrive record and a Deal. And you can also configure Outfunnel to create new Pipedrive contacts if people subscribe in Mailchimp.
- Best results with a new Audience. We recommend to set up a brand new Mailchimp Audience to ensure everything works flawlessly, but syncing data to an already existing Audience works as well in most cases.
- Sync frequency. Outfunnel syncs some data instantly and some every 4 hours (approximately). You can force a sync when you click on the headline of an Automation and then click the “Sync events now” button.
- Email activity is registered on a Contact level as well as a (single) Deal level. If someone is sent an email, or they open or click an email, this is registered independently of the deal stage or pipeline in their Contact profile. This is also registered in a Deal in the pipeline you can define in the Mailchimp to Pipedrive Automation setup screen.
- New Deals will be created in the exact stage you define in the above screen, email activity will be recorded in the Deal view even if the Deal is currently in another stage in the same pipeline. Email activity can’t be reflected in multiple Deals at the same time.
- Single source of truth is Pipedrive. Outfunnel currently treats Pipedrive as the “single source of truth”, and any changes you make in Pipedrive will be reflected in Mailchimp. This doesn’t work the other way around. If you’d like to edit contents of a field in Mailchimp, please make the changes in Pipedrive and let Outfunnel take care of syncing this to Mailchimp.
- Make edits on the Pipedrive end only. Furthermore, making changes to fields or contents of fields that are synced via Outfunnel on the Mailchimp end may result in partially disabling Outfunnel automations.
- Supported field types. Outfunnel currently supports syncing the following field types: text, numbers, single selection answers, multiple selection asnwers, phone numbers, dates, addresses and monetary values.
- Supported campaign types. Outfunnel comprehensively tracks and records data for Mailchimp’s Regular and Automation campaigns, also A/B tests.
- The default settings for new Mailchimp to Pipedrive automations are:
- A Note is created for each email sent
- A custom activity “Newsletter open” is created for each email opened
- A custom activity “Newsletter clicked” and a new Deal is created for each email clicked.
- The new deal is created for Default owner ie. owner of that Person in Pipedrive.
- Unsubscribes are recorded as Notes.
- You can also choose a custom field to be updated upon unsubscribing. If you don’t want Outfunnel to create a new field for this, click on the drop-down arrow and choose any single-option Person field you want to be updated.
- If you are using multiple Mailchimp Audiences, Outfunnel can update the same Pipedrive field for all Audiences or a different field for each Audience. The latter is useful when you want to keep your users subscribed to other Audiences, but would also like to filter unsubscribed users in Pipedrive.
- Newsletter Bounces are recorded as a Note. You can also have them recorded as a “Newsletter Bounce” custom activity, or both.
- New Mailchimp subscribers are not copied to Pipedrive by default. If you’d like to activate this tick the “Create contacts from new subscribers” box at the end of the automation setup form.
- Learn more about the best ways to manage unsubscribes and bounces.
- You can change these defaults and easily choose which Pipeline is used for creating new Deals and who the Owner of to-be-created deals is.
- Notifications. If you’d like to receive email notifications about people opening and/or clicking your newsletters, you’ll need to turn on Email notifications feature in Pipedrive. (See how). Once enabled, each user can turn on Email notifications by going to Settings > Personal > Preferences > Notifications.
Finally, here’s a video that Pipedrive consultant Paul Minors has produced about Outfunnel.
Want to learn how to get more of Outfunnel? Check out this post which describes the eight powerful automations you get with Outfunnel.
No. If you delete an automation, Outfunnel will just stop syncing new data. All synced data will remain intact.
With Outfunnel it’s easy to trigger drip campaigns when a new Pipedrive Contact or Deal is added, a Deal is moved to a specific stage, when a Deal is won or lost or when a custom field is edited.
Use Pipedrive’s filters for People to target the right segment
Outfunnel works off of Pipedrive filters for People. Anything you do in Pipedrive for contacts to start matching a filter or stop matching a filter (change the contents of a field, mark a deal “won” or change pipeline stage) can be used to trigger a MailChimp Automation campaign.
Here it’s worth pointing out that although Outfunnel only supports filters for People, and not Organizations or Deals, you can use People filters for pretty much anything. For example, say you’d like to send a triggered campaign to people who have open deals in the pipeline stage Negotiations. Furthermore, you only want to target people that have not bought from you before (ie. closed Deals count = 0) and who are in the Real Estate business. You can create a filter for these people in just 40 seconds!
Setting up a drip campaign for Pipedrive contacts in 4 simple steps
- Step 1. Define the segment that should receive a drip campaign with a Pipedrive filter. Learn how filters work in Pipedrive.
- Step 2. Create a new Audience in Mailchimp
- Step 3. Then set up an Outfunnel automation to sync the filter you set up in Step 1 to the newly created Mailchimp Audience. Learn how to use the Pipedrive-Mailchimp integration
- Step 4. And lastly set up a Mailchimp automated campaign that triggers when people get added to the Mailchimp Audience. We recommend using the “Send when people join or get imported to your Audience” trigger in Mailchimp for that.
Things to keep in mind
Please note that when a contact stops matching the filter, Outfunnel will unsubscribe them from the campaign. For example, when you want an email sequence to go out to people in the “Warm lead” pipeline stage, and you move them to the next stage (eg. “Demo scheduled”), this can stop the sequence of emails.
Please also note that currently Outfunnel sync is not real-time but run about every 4 hours, so there may be 1 min – 3 h 59 min delay in triggering the campaign.
PS. Pipedrive’s new Automation feature can also be used for triggered emails, but in our view, these are better suited as one-off follow-ups with people you’ve already established a relationship with, rather than marketing campaigns. Worth checking out in any case.
Our website visitor tracking feature, or simply Web tracking as we call it, shows you which of your leads are visiting your website, and which pages of your website. This way you’ll know who appears more interested in your products and services, more ready to buy.
Outfunnel matches website visitors to your contacts when people click on emails sent from Outfunnel or from Mailchimp. We’ll soon be adding more ways to match website visitors to your contacts.
Step 1. Add Outfunnel tracking code on your site.
You’ll find your tracking code in the Web tracking section of your Outfunnel account. Read more about how to install website visitor tracking code to your site.
Step 2. Start sending email campaigns from Outfunnel or Mailchimp
If you’re using Outfunnel to send marketing emails, website visitors will automatically be matched to contacts when people click on links included in any emails.
If you’re using Mailchimp, see further information at the end of this article.
PS. The more people click on your emails, the more people Outfunnel can identify, so we recommend sending a campaign or two with a very attractive call-to-action or offer to increase the number of people we can identify.
Step 3. See website visits in Outfunnel
You’re then ready to start seeing website visits who have clicked on at least one Outfunnel or Mailchimp campaign. We’ll show you the time of the visit and the pages visited.
Step 4. Define how you’d like website visits reflected in Pipedrive
Go to Outfunnel > Automations, scroll to Outfunnel to Pipedrive automations and click Configure. There you can set up an automation to send web visits to Pipedrive, and you can choose whether to record website visits as a Note or as a custom Pipedrive activity called Web visit.
In order to increase usefulness to salespeople we post web visits to Pipedrive with a 30-minute delay, so we can list all pages visited within the first half an hour, and the duration of looking at each page.
Step 5. Stay GDPR compliant
We’ve provided further instructions in this article
What to keep in mind when you’re using Mailchimp to send marketing emails (and would like to use our web tracking feature)
- Because we’re using Mailchimp’s e-commerce link tracking feature, you must have your Mailchimp account linked with Outfunnel. You can do that if you navigate to Connections section in Outfunnel and follow instructions there.
- Outfunnel uses Mailchimp’s e-commerce link tracking to match email addresses (and so, your leads) to website visitors. All you have to do to start tracking website visitors is to tick “E-commerce link tracking” every time you send out a campaign.
First find Settings & Tracking as you’re composing a new campaign, and click Edit.
Then tick the e-commerce link tracking checkbox.
Please note that e-commerce link tracking can be activated for both one-off campaigns and automated campaigns. For the latter, navigate to Campaigns > Ongoing and click on the name of the automated campaign. Then click on Edit Workflow Settings and tick the e-commerce link tracking checkbox.
The Outfunnel tracking code enables our Web tracking feature and lets you monitor which of your leads are visiting your website, and which pages of your website.
If you do have access to the HTML of your website (or to your content management system), you can complete the steps below yourself.
If you do not have access to your website’s HTML, email this article to your web developer or IT department.
Step 1. Find and copy your Outfunnel tracking code
Navigate to Web tracking page in Outfunnel and find the tracking code displayed in the dark blue box. You may need to click “Show tracking code” if it’s not immediately visible.
Please note: the tracking code is different for every Outfunnel account.
Step 2. Paste the code onto each page of your website
You can add tracking code to your website in one of three ways:
- Paste it into the header section of your website between
tags – this way it gets added to each page which features the header.
- Paste it above the closing body tag (between and tags) for each individual page on your website
- Paste it into the footer section of your website between
tags – this way it gets added to each page which features the footer.
Because every website or content management system is structured differently, we can’t provide you with exact instructions on how to add tracking code. If you’re not sure how to access the HTML code of your site, email this document to your webmaster, IT department, or technical resource.
If you’re a WordPress user, there’s a simple way to add the Outfunnel tracking code.
Install the Outfunnel plugin plugin.
Then, activate the plugin and navigate to the Settings area of the plugin. Paste the Tracking ID you’ll find in the Web tracking page of Outfunnel (just the long line of numbers and letters, without quotation marks or other code elements) into the WordPress plugin and click “Save changes”.
Outfunnel will display: Web tracking active once you’ve successfully added the tracking code.
Outfunnel only shows filters that have been created under the contacts>person menu in Pipedrive and are set to shared visibility.
By using our services, you may consider whether it could pose a risk to the processing of personal data of your customers. This is why we have come up with this short guide explaining how to stay GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant when using our services.
According to GDPR, you are the Controller of the personal data of your customers and since you share that information with us and we process it under your instructions, we are the Processor of such data. One of the duties of the controller is to notify the customers whose personal data you are processing through a privacy notice and also collect consent if you deploy cookies or similar technologies (including localStorage) into their devices.
This guidance has a purely informative meaning and does not carry any legal rights or duties.
Example of clause about Outfunnel which could be added to your cookie notice
We use third party marketing software Outfunnel in order to send our emails and manage our marketing campaigns. Outfunnel uses localStorage as part of tracking, so we would have information on email open rates and click through rates. Outfunnel also tracks activity on the website.
How does it work?
We embed a
What information does Outfunnel collect?
When tracking code is added to a page, Outfunnel automatically gathers the following information:
• Page visits
• Time of each page visit
• IP Address
• Referrer (Source, Medium)
• User ID
Example of clause about Outfunnel which could be added to your privacy notice
We use Outfunnel as our third party service provider in order to create email distribution lists and manage marketing campaigns. Such processing is covered with a data processing agreement protecting your personal data.
Yes, our service is GDPR compliant. Our servers are hosted in EU and we’ve put a lot of thought and effort into keeping it safe. We don’t unnecessarily gather or process data, and we don’t gather or use data without explicit consent. We expect our customers to also be GDPR compliant.
Yes, we have an extremely high bar for keeping data secure and a suitable amount of relevant experience. Our tools and security measures are based on the more demanding end of industry best practices.
We’ll let you know and ask you to consider upgrading. Your Outfunnel account will not be paused unless you’re over the limit by more than 20% and/or we haven’t heard back from you.
Our aim is to align the revenue we generate with the value customers are getting from using the product. It doesn’t seem fair to charge for contacts you’re not actively marketing to, so our main pricing “units” are emails you send and web visits that accompany marketing activities. Companies that send more emails and get more people to visit the site pay more than those that send fewer emails. Simple, no?
We also wanted to let you flexibly choose between different ways to send email campaigns. Each plan includes a number of emails sent from Outfunnel, all email engagement data synced from Mailchimp for the same number of emails and the same number of website visits (independent of the source of visits).
For example, our Growth plan includes syncing unlimited events from up to 15,000 Mailchimp emails per month, sending up to 15,000 Outfunnel emails per month and tracking web visits for up to 15,000 people per month.
You can easily upgrade and downgrade between plans. When downgrading, excess funds will remain as credit. Switching between plans can be done at any time in the billing cycle.
No. Outfunnel works with a single Mailchimp and Pipedrive account. That said, it is possible to replace the existing account with a new one by navigating to account settings and clicking on “Reconnect”.
PS. Before reconnecting, make sure you are logged in with the new Mailchimp or Pipedrive account.
Yes. Please get in-touch with our customer success team through email@example.com.