Last updated: June 18, 2021
If you’re using Pipedrive, you already know that it’s a superb sales CRM, allowing you to define a clear process for your clients and prospects. But what if you’d like to save even more time and effort by integrating it with your marketing as well? Let’s take a look at how you can do Pipedrive marketing automation.
The smart way to do it is to use best-in-class 3rd party marketing automation tools that integrate seamlessly with Pipedrive. We’ve done the hard work of reviewing many possible options, so it’s easier for you to decide on your stack.
Before we jump in, let’s take a step back and ask: what exactly is this “marketing automation” that we’re looking for?
There are three core marketing functions that most companies look to automate:
- Email marketing – sending out marketing newsletters, drip campaigns and other event-triggered emails.
- On-site marketing / lead generation – forms, chat, web visitor tracking, and the like.
- Marketing reporting – tying it all together and seeing what generated sales/revenue, without having to manually recreate charts and graphs every time.
This isn’t an exhaustive list, of course, but they’re the main things most businesses are looking to do well. Simply getting these fundamentals right goes a long, long way.
Email marketing integrations for Pipedrive
Let’s start with email, which is still considered one of the most powerful and effective marketing channels for any business.
Email marketing can be a broad topic, so here’s a short list of email features companies are usually looking to get out of marketing automation:
- Email newsletters: sending out good old emails to the whole base or a certain segment
- Drip emails: email sequences to establish the first contact with leads or nurture existing leads
- Triggered emails: sending an email when a lead did or didn’t do a specific thing (a micro-conversion, as some call them)
- Email tracking: seeing which leads clicks which email
Keeping that in mind, we’ve tested many tools that do email automation for Pipedrive.
1. Mailchimp offers a great email editor and has a native integration with Pipedrive… but it only works one-way
Pipedrive and Mailchimp do work well together. Pipedrive’s native Mailchimp integration lets you easily filter out a specific group of users in the Pipedrive list view, and then add them to a Mailchimp list with the click of a button.
There’s just one problem: the data about opens and clicks remains in Mailchimp, and does not loop back to Pipedrive. So if your sales team wants to know who opened or clicked, they’d have to visit Mailchimp.
Why we like Mailchimp:
- Send one-off emails (infrequently) to segments you define with Pipedrive filters.
- Basic email sequences are sound.
Where it may fall short:
- Displaying email engagement in Pipedrive.
- Triggered email sequences where email flow and content depends on Pipedrive sales stage or email behavior.
- Keeping your email and CRM list in sync.
- Little insights, apart from campaign stats in Mailchimp.
The good news is that Outfunnel offers a Pipedrive-Mailchimp integration that will help with most of the shortcomings mentioned here. So, opt for that instead of the native integration and you’ll be set!
2. Drip is great for elaborate event-based email sequences, but it’s tedious to get data from Pipedrive into it
Drip’s native integration with Pipedrive creates new Deals from your Drip subscribers based on the trigger of your choosing. For example, you may want to create a new deal for people that have completed a particular email Campaign or that have opened or clicked specific emails.
Drip itself is great for elaborate event-based email sequences, so this tool could be very handy if you have a large list of leads and enough content+ tracking to be able to provide complex email journeys.
The downside is that it’s not trivial to get data from Pipedrive into Drip. You can use Zapier as a duct tape between the services or create a custom integration based on API’s of both products.
Building a Pipedrive-Drip integration is something we at Outfunnel are looking into as well. If you’d like to be notified when we launch it, sign up via a quick web form via this page: Pipedrive-Drip integration.
Why we like Drip:
- Triggered email sequences where email flow and content depends on email behavior, pages visited and other data (once you’ve figured out how to sync with Pipedrive, that is).
- Creating new Deals or Contacts based on email opens and clicks.
- Multi-channel flows i.e. when you also need to send postcards, text messages, etc.
- It’s a solid leads database to compliment your customer database in Pipedrive.
Where it may fall short:
- Keeping your email and CRM list in sync, unless you invest in building an API-connection or subscribe to a 3rd party syncing service.
- Drip seems to have pivoted to ecommerce marketing in 2018, so it’s unlikely they’ll create advanced use cases for syncing data with CRM apps.
- Few customization options when creating new records in Pipedrive. Drip creates a new Person each time a user triggers a certain action eg. clicks on an email. If someone clicks twice, you got yourself two identical records. If someone clicks 18 times, you’ll have some cleaning up to do later.
3. Outfunnel (that’s us!) keeps your CRM and marketing tool tightly synced, saving you time and effort
We are all about connecting your sales and marketing data, deeply and easily. There are two main ways Outfunnel will help with Pipedrive marketing automation:
1. Use the App connector to integrate your favorite marketing automation tools with Pipedrive.
You can connect marketing automation tools like Mailchimp or ActiveCampaign with Pipedrive 2-way, meaning your contacts will be kept in sync and email engagement will be recorded in Pipedrive.
Additionally, you can connect your web forms with Pipedrive to automatically import leads into Pipedrive, along with key data about the form fills.
Learn more about Outfunnel’s most popular Pipedrive-marketing automation connections:
See the full list of marketing tools Outfunnel can plug into Pipedrive: Which marketing tools does Outfunnel integrate with?
2. Use Outfunnel’s simple campaigns tool to send automated emails, tightly in sync with Pipedrive.
Here’s what you can do with Outfunnel’s email campaigns tool:
- Send single email campaigns or multi-email sequences (aka drip campaigns) to any segment defined by your Pipedrive Person filters.
- Record email opens, clicks and other email activity to Pipedrive immediately.
Regardless if you use the App connector, email campaigns tool or both—you can also highlight your hottest leads with Outfunnel’s Website visitor tracking and Lead scoring which are tightly synced to Pipedrive.
Outfunnel is the number #1 top rated app on Pipedrive’s App Marketplace and one of the newest ActiveCampaign integrations. Try it out and see why both sales and marketing people love it.
4. Mailigen is being integrated into Pipedrive, and you can already use it with Pipedrive’s Syncbot but the jury is still out
Pipedrive has definitely realized the power of keeping marketing in sync with the CRM, and acquired the email marketing automation company Mailigen in 2020.
Since then, Pipedrive has been gradually merging Mailigen into their core product. While they’re likely to announce a bigger product change in 2021, then currently you can use Mailigen in tandem with Syncbot to automate marketing emails.
In short, Syncbot will synchronize your Pipedrive contacts (all of them or based on specific contact filters) to Mailigen, so you can target them with marketing emails. You can also use it to add notes to the contacts in Pipedrive on campaign opens/clicks/sends/bounces.
Why we like the Mailigen/Syncbot setup:
- Automate sending email campaigns to segments you define with Pipedrive filters.
- Record email engagement in Pipedrive as Notes.
- New subscribers added to the Mailigen list selected can be synced over to your Pipedrive contacts.
Where it may fall short:
- You can only sync Pipedrive contacts with one Mailigen List at a time.
- Merge fields are limited — for example, there’s no first name merge field, but just a full name one.
Other email tools that you may want to consider using with Pipedrive:
Autopilot is definitely worth taking a look at as a marketing platform that integrates with Pipedrive.
- Pros: A comprehensive feature set, modern design and deep integration with Pipedrive.
- Cons: Pricing limits active usage. Many negative reviews in Pipedrive marketplace.
- Pros: Creates new deals based on activity as a lead, keeps data in sync between the leads database and Pipedrive, records email clicks or opens in Pipedrive
- Cons: no free trial available. The user interface doesn’t look too promising.
Web-related integrations for Pipedrive
Once you’ve gotten your email marketing sorted out, what do you do next?
According to our research, here are the features marketers most frequently look to set up on the web when it comes to marketing automation:
- Lead capture forms: allow leads to indicate interest in your product or a piece of content
- Web visitor tracking: seeing which lead visits which page on your site
- Landing pages: create landing pages for certain topics or segments
- Content personalization: customize content for specific segments or individual
- Chat: human or robot powered interaction with leads on the site
Our favorite web-to-lead tools for Pipedrive marketing automation
Lead capture forms are simple and effective tools for building your email list. Here are some of our favorites that play well with Pipedrive.
1. Pipedrive’s native web forms are simple, robust and hassle-free
If you’d need a simple web form with minimal integration hassle, you can’t go wrong with Pipedrive’s own web forms.
They’re customizable, robust, integrate directly to Pipedrive and they’re free.
2. Wix Forms
If your website is built on the Wix platform, then it’s easiest to use Wix Forms for your lead capture.
You can choose from a large variety of templates such as contact, order, registration, application, subscribe & more. The app also allows for easy customization of your form’s layout and design, so you can select exactly the fields you need your visitors to fill out.
While Wix Forms do not have a native integration with Pipedrive, you can use Outfunnel’s Wix Forms-Pipedrive connection to sync contacts from Wix Forms fills over to Pipedrive and record the form submissions on the contact profiles.
3. WordPress web forms: Contact Form 7, Elementor Forms, Gravity Forms or WPForms
WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world, and the ecosystem offers a variety of tools for web forms. The most popular ones include Contact Form 7 (which we use for some of our forms at Outfunnel), Elementor Forms, Gravity Forms and WPForms.
While the setup for each is slightly different, it’s nothing too complicated, especially if you’re already familiar with using WordPress.
The more complicated part is making the forms sync up with Pipedrive. A quick Google search will reveal a number of different plugins that offer such connections, but our (not completely unbiased) recommendation is to connect them via Outfunnel’s App connector. Here’s why:
- Set up just once to sync contacts and log form fills for the contacts in Pipedrive.
- Easily map any and all custom fields you’d like to be mapped to the respective properties in the CRM (some alternatives are only able to map 3-4 default fields).
- One setup for any number of web forms on your domain (many others require a separate configuration per web form).
- Track web visits of your contacts and record the visits in the CRM. (Coming soon)
- Entire setup takes 15 minutes.
- Plans start as low as $19 per month.
Read more about each WordPress web form connection and how they work:
- Pipedrive-Contact Form 7 integration
- Pipedrive-Elementor Forms integration
- Pipedrive-Gravity Forms integration (coming in July 2021)
- Pipedrive-WPForms integration (coming in July 2021)
4. Paperform is elegant and affordable ($15/mo), but has no integration with Pipedrive
While some of our simpler contact forms (e.g. our B2B email crash course) live on Contact Form 7, we use Paperform for more complex web forms.
We love the simplicity and design of Paperform, it’s also quite affordable (we’re using the $15 per month plan).
The only downside is that there is no native integration, so you’d need to send new leads to Pipedrive via Zapier or a comparable 3rd party syncing tool.
Website visitor tracking tools for Pipedrive
When you have a retail store that customers can walk into, you can learn a lot just from watching them. Where do they linger, what do they overlook? This can give you great insights about how you can improve the experience for them.
Can you do the same with your website? One effective way to do this is via website visitor tracking.
1. Outfunnel gives your sales team detailed context, automatically
Our own website visitor tracking feature gives your sales team the context they need to prioritize leads and to know what to highlight or skip when they’re doing demos.
Once you’ve enabled website visitor tracking, you’ll see who has been to your site, pages visited and the time of visits.
You’ll see a feed of web visitors when you log into Outfunnel, and you can also set up an automation that records these visits in Pipedrive.
Other Pipedrive marketing automation integrations?
Above, we’ve shrotlisted key marketing automation tools that Pipedrive users can utilize. However, there are many more useful marketing integrations that we did not cover.
The thing is, we at Outfunnel are geeks about integrating sales and marketing. So much so, that our product is dedicated to connecting sales and marketing tools.
Below are a few additional Pipedrive integrations that we can’t wait to share with you. They’re coming soon, so sign up for early access via the links:
Are there any other key marketing integrations you’re missing as a Pipedrive users? Do let us know in the comments below.
- Our Answer To The Inconvenient Truth Of Marketing Integrations: Say Hello To The App Connector - May 17, 2021
- Keep On Connecting: 5 Connectors That Changed The World - May 14, 2021
- Say hello to our ActiveCampaign integration - April 28, 2021