A seamless 2-way connection between Pipedrive and Mailchimp:
- Make all Pipedrive contacts or subset(s) you define with filters available in a Mailchimp list along with your fields and custom fields.
- Keep the two databases in-sync going forward. Eg. if someone moves from Pipeline stage X to Y or is marked as Won/Lost, this is recorded in Mailchimp in (near) real time.
- When people open or click on email campaigns, this data will be recorded in Pipedrive as custom events, Notes and/or new Deals created.
Here’s how to use our Pipedrive-Mailchimp integration:
First, sign up for an Outfunnel account, adding your email, name, and password. Then, connect your Mailchimp and Pipedrive accounts as per on-screen instructions.
Automate syncing data from Pipedrive to Mailchimp
Go Outfunnel > Automations and click on New automation.
First, choose whether to sync all Pipedrive contacts or only contacts you’ve defined with a filter. Your Pipedrive filters will be visible if you click on the arrow down. As you’re syncing contacts, not Deals, then only Pipedrive People filters are visible in Outfunnel.
Next, choose which Mailchimp list you’d like the contacts to be synced to.
You can sync different Pipedrive filters to different Mailchimp lists (eg. separate email lists for different regions or pipeline stages) or you can sync multiple Pipedrive filters to the same Mailchimp list (eg. a filter with open Deals for each sales rep, all synced to one big newsletter list)
Finally, select which fields or custom fields you’d like to sync to Mailchimp. You can choose up to 30 fields from all your Person and Organization fields and custom fields.
Please also note it takes 3-10 minutes for your chosen Pipedrive contacts to appear in Mailchimp.
Please also note that Outfunnel creates these fields in Mailchimp automatically, you don’t need to pre-create them.
Then, automate syncing data from Mailchimp to Pipedrive.
In the Outfunnel > Automations page, scroll down to Mailchimp to Pipedrive automations and click on New automation.
First, choose whether you’d like to sync activity from all Mailchimp lists or a specific Mailchimp list only.
Then select what events you’d like recorded in Pipedrive. The default settings are:
- A Note created for each email sent
- A custom activity “Email Opened” is created for each email opened
- A custom activity “Newsletter clicked” and a new Deal is created for each email clicked. A new deal is created for Default owner ie. owner of that Person in Pipedrive.
- Unsubscribes are recorded as Notes and Custom Fields. If you don’t want a new field to be created, then click on the drop-down arrow and choose any single-option Person field you want to update.
- Newsletter Bounces are recorded as a note, custom activity or both. Custom activities can later be easily filtered in Pipedrive.
You can change these defaults and choose which Pipeline is used for creating new Deals and who the Deal Owner is.
- If you are using multiple Mailchimp Lists, Outfunnel can update the same Pipedrive field for all Lists or a different field for each List. The latter is useful when you want to keep your users subscribed to other Lists, but would also like to filter unsubscribed users in Pipedrive.
- Email activity is registered on a Contact level as well as Deal level. If someone is sent an email, or they open or click an email, this is registered independently of the deal stage or pipeline in their Contact profile. This is also registered in a Deal in the pipeline you can define in this setup screen.
- Outfunnel comprehensively tracks and records data for Mailchimp’s Regular and Automation campaigns, also A/B tests.
New Deals will be created in the exact stage you define in this screen, email activity will be recorded in the Deal view even if the Deal is currently in another stage in the same pipeline. Email activity can’t be reflected in multiple Deals at the same time.
That’s it. You’re ready to start sending email campaigns from Mailchimp and seeing activity reflected in Pipedrive.
Couple of things to keep in mind:
- Outfunnel tracks only these contacts that we have initially synced. Currently, Outfunnel only records email data and web visits for these Mailchimp contacts that have been synced to Mailchimp from Pipedrive with Outfunnel. We recommend to first collate your whole contact list (Pipedrive + Mailchimp) into Pipedrive and sync the all contacts, or a selection you define with Pipedrive filters, into Mailchimp with Outfunnel.
- Best results with a new List. We recommend to set up a brand new Mailchimp list to ensure everything works flawlessly, but syncing data to an already existing list works too.
- Sync frequency. We sync data every 4 hours (approximately). You can force a sync when you click on the headline of an Automation and then click the “Sync events now” button.
- Single source of truth is Pipedrive. Outfunnel currently treats Pipedrive as the “single source of truth”, and any changes you make in Pipedrive will be reflected in Mailchimp. This doesn’t work the other way around. If you’d like to edit contents of a field in Mailchimp, please make the changes in Pipedrive and let Outfunnel take care of syncing this to Mailchimp.
- Make edits on the Pipedrive end only. Furthermore, making changes to fields or contents of fields that are synced via Outfunnel on the Mailchimp end may result in partially disabling Outfunnel automations.
- Supported field types. Outfunnel currently supports syncing the following field types: text, numbers, multiple choice answers, phone numbers, dates, addresses, monetary values.
- Notifications. If you’d like to receive email notifications about people opening and/or clicking your newsletters, you’ll need to turn on Email notifications feature in Pipedrive. (See how). Once enabled, each user can turn on Email notifications by going to Settings > Personal > Preferences > Notifications.
Finally, here’s a video that Pipedrive consultant Paul Minors has produced about Outfunnel.
Want to learn how to get more of Outfunnel? Check out this post which describes the eight powerful automations you get with Outfunnel.