Outfunnel allows you to create automated drip and multi-stage lead nurturing campaigns that integrate seamlessly with Pipedrive. We call these types of email campaigns, sequences.
Some examples of when our email sequences feature would be useful:
- Following up after deals are won (or lost)
- Reaching out once deals reach a certain stage of the sales funnel
- Warming up fresh leads at the early stage of the pipeline
You can use these triggered email sequences to engage segments defined by Pipedrive and open and click-through rates will be automatically recorded in Pipedrive.
If you want to create an automated email sequence you’ll need an Outfunnel account and a Pipedrive account.
Getting ready to create your first automated email sequence
Before diving right in and creating your first email sequence campaign, there’s a couple of things you need to do.
- Define your campaign’s recipients, using filters in Pipedrive
In Pipedrive, go to Contacts > People and use filters to create the segment(s) you’d like your email sequence campaign to reach. Save the filter as “Shared”. Read more about using Pipedrive filters
- Authenticate your domain (optional, but highly recommended)
If you want to keep your emails out of your recipients’ spam folder, we highly recommend verifying your domain. This way, email providers and clients can be confident the message was sent by us with your permission. Learn more about authenticating your domain.
How to send an automated email sequence campaign
Step 1: Go to Outfunnel > Campaigns > Sequences (or click here)
Step 2: In the Emails section, give your sequence a name, define the recipients (this is based on the Pipedrive filters you set up earlier and if you added a new one recently it may take a couple of minutes to appear)
Step 3: Now it’s time to start adding those email messages to your sequence. Click Add an email and enter the “from email” (this needs to match the domain you registered for Outfunnel with – need to change it? Get in touch.), the “from name”, subject line and “preheader” (the bit of text that appears next to or below the subject line).
Once you’ve got the basic bits sorted, it’s time to start adding your content using the visual editor. You can format text, add images and links and personalize your message using “merge tags”. Click Personalize and you’ll be greeted by a list of all the Pipedrive Person and Organization fields you can use to add that personalized touch to your emails.
Outfunnel will automatically add an unsubscribe link to the footer of every email – a legal requirement in many parts of the world (plus, it’s just good practice) and you won’t be able to send a campaign without it. You’re more than welcome to customize the wording and size if you want though.
Step 4: Next, to add another message to your sequence, click Back to sequence then click Add an email. Once again, enter the basic info and add your content, as we just covered above.
Keep adding the emails you need for your sequence – you can add up to 10 emails per sequence.
Step 5: Now you’ll want to add a delay to each of your messages. Enter the number of days and hours you would like to delay your messages by in their respective fields.
The first email delay is based on when a person matches your Pipedrive filter (anyone currently already matching the filter is excluded). All the subsequent delays are from the previous message.
Also, Outfunnel checks Pipedrive’s filters every hour so setting a “0” delay for the first message will, in practice, result in a delay of 1 to 60 minutes. Delays for all the following emails are exact.
Step 6: Now, it’s time to review your sequence campaign’s settings, by clicking Settings at the bottom of the page.
Here you can update the sequence name (we’ll be adding the ability to edit more settings in the not-too-distant future) and check how Outfunnel will record open and click-through data in Pipedrive. Looking good?
Go ahead and click that big, green Activate sequence button, then confirm that you definitely want to go live, by clicking OK in the confirmation box.
If you want to resend your email sequence, whether to a new or existing audience, you duplicate it in the Campaign dashboard.
Getting insights on your email sequence’s campaign performance
You can get at-a-glance insights from the Campaigns dashboard.
Both your single email and sequence campaigns will appear here. To get more detailed stats, click the campaign name or the “More options” icon (the three, vertical dots on the right). Here you’ll find bounce and unsubscribe data.
Email engagement stats will also be recorded in Pipedrive (see below).
Some things to keep in mind when using automated email sequences
- Check out our single email campaigns feature if you’re not looking to create an automated email sequence.
- The automated email sequence feature is currently in “alpha” – that’s computer speak for “here be dragons” – well, not dragons, but bugs. If you’re OK with a few digital critters and want early access to the alpha, get in touch.
- Outfunnel automatically records email engagement in the Contact view in Pipedrive. The default settings are:
- Emails opened and clicked are recorded as a custom activity (that you can later filter in Pipedrive)
- Emails sent and bounced as well unsubscribes are recorded as a Note
- For maximum deliverability, warm up your emails with Outfunnel. If you’re sending campaigns to several thousand or tens of thousands of contacts at a time, we’d suggest starting with a few smaller campaigns first.
- For example, with a list of 10,000 contacts, send a campaign to 250 people on week 1, 500 people on week 2, 750 people on week 3, 1300 people on week 4, etc.
- Read more about IP warming
- Unsubscribe means unsubscribe. Any contacts that unsubscribe are automatically removed from the list of people you can send emails to via Outfunnel, even if they match the filter that is used for triggering a campaign.
- If you use Outfunnel to send emails, you can also automatically get the benefits of our web visitor tracking feature. This way you’ll see what leads are interested in your website, and have this recorded in Pipedrive as well – giving your sales pitch that extra edge.
- Looking for some critical email functionality? We hear you. We’re making the email feature better every day (and that’s literally, and sometimes including weekends.) If you’re missing something, there’s a good chance we’re working on this already. If you have specific questions, please give us a shout.